Sunday, January 31, 2010

Back to the Grind

Well, classes have started up again, and this semester looks to be a royal bitch. We have to do 200 clinical hours. The crappy part is that, due to the state furloughing the teachers, we cannot do ANY clinical time during our spring break, which, frankly, I was counting on to be able to make all my hours. So far, I've signed up for most of the shifts I need, though I'm still a few hours short. The fact that C is in NJ for the next 5 or 6 months means that I have to be home to take care of the dogs during the week. This makes it difficult to do clinicals during the week, since I have to be home for the dogs at night (I do have someone to let them out and feed them at night, but I can't leave them alone all night long). I could do clinicals after classes, but then I won't be home till midnight or later, and then to get up at 0500 for classes will be a bitch. This means that I have only Fridays (no class on Friday so we can do clinicals) and weekends to do my hours, which means I won't be able to see C when he is actually home. The original plan when I decided to go back to school was that he would be home to take care of the animals so I could crash at someone's place closer to school if I had to do clinicals or something late. But what are you going to do? At least he has a job. So far I'm only 4 or 5 shifts short, and worse comes to worse, I'll plan for a week of evening/night clinicals and C can take the dogs with him for the week so I can stay at a place up near school.

The snow they called for this weekend hit and we got a fair sight more than they said we would. Shock. It ruined our plans for Saturday, but we made new plans and cleaned the kitchen. The counter and backsplash behind the sink have a large gap between them and I worry about all the water getting up in there and making the drywall and such moldy. So we caulked that space and straightened up, and basically just cleaned up the house and put clutter in it's place.

I've been having sleeping issues recently, and I don't know why. I do have occasional bouts with insomnia, and I suspect it's just the change in my diet and exercise that is screwing up my system. I was doing well over most of the break, going to bed and waking up at a reasonable time, and since my surgery, I have not been doing well. Unable to sleep, staying up late to read and finish books, sleeping really late. I need to get back on a good schedule, and hoped that this weekend would help, since C goes to bed fairly early. Last night struck that one down though, as I was stressed after scheduling out clinical times, and went on a stress-related crying jag. To relax, I grabbed a book, and stayed up reading the whole damned thing.

On the good side, I'm taking a SAR management class this semester. I'm excited about it. In April, we take a 3-day SAREX for training. It should be fun. I'm hoping that after this semester is over, and Kaylee the nervous K-9 has had some obedience training, I can get back to SAR. I'm not sure yet if next semester's schedule will allow it, but I'm hoping.

One more week until I can ride again. I can't wait.

No comments: