Friday, September 4, 2009

Week 1 down!

Well, week 1 is in the books. I am sitting in the Commons, a kind of 'town square' thing that houses several eating places (ala carte, really), the bookstore, and several other things. Had this been King's, my former place of higher education, I would call it the Student Center. This place, being much bigger, has this, and another student center type place.

I've forgotten how much fun it could be on campus. Seeing other students walking to their dorms and apartments, seeing people playing frisbee (and croquette, even) in the quad, and in general relaxing after a week of classes brought back a strong nostalgia of what-has-been. I miss being able to just walk down the hall, or up a set of stairs, or even just across campus to see my friends. Getting together on a Friday night to role-play, or watch a movie. Getting up late on Saturday and going to the park to play Ultimate. Watching football on Sunday with the whole group of friends.

I find myself wondering what might-have-been had I had this radical idea of medic school (rather than medicAL school) and had come here 13 years ago. Would I have met the same people eventually? Would I have met C? If I hadn't met C, and decided to come here now, would I opt to lie on campus rather than at the Crofton house?

These things go through my mind, but I know I wouldn't trade those years for anything. There are things I would do differently, but I can't complain about the track my life has taken overall. I have friends who have been with me through thick and thin for 13 years. Not many people can say that they've remained friends with people from college for this long after college, at least not with as large a group as we have maintained. And now, S will be having a baby in a few months. 13 years ago last week, S and I met for the first time, along with R, who has 2 children now. I am continually amazed that, even though some of us have moved away, we have remained friends enough to keep in contact with each other through more personal means than facebook.

In other news, I'm sitting here because C is picking me up. The Gnome-Mobile is safely stashed in a parking garage on campus, and we will be heading north to the Poconos for a visit with parts of my family. This weekend will be full of good food, family, and lots of catch-up reading for school.

This flexi-keyboard is working ok, although the harder keystrokes make it harder, as does the necessity of hitting the keys perfectly square. Still, I'm getting better at it.

Speaking of things I'm getting better at, actually going to the gym is getting easier. I'm getting back into the swing of things, and I'm learning more about form vs weight. And today I can actually move. The diet is a harder thing for me, but even if I eat 'bad stuff' I'm learning to eat less of it, and I hope that eventually I'll just phase that nonsense out of my diet. It's a process.

No comments: