Saturday, February 27, 2010

And away we go!

The season of clinicals has begun. Tomorrow will be my last day without a clinical till the end of March (not counting spring break). So far, clinicals have been pretty good. The last few have been relatively slow, but the calls have been good ones, real head-scratchers, as it were. A diabetic with N/V/D who was extremely diaphoretic, whose 12-lead showed an inferior infarct. We gave him NTG, and it bottomed his BP from 170-ish/110-ish to 70-ish/40-ish. WOW! Yesterday I was at a station that was a block from the hospital, so we didn't do a whole lot of interventions, but we had 2 combative patients (one I had to put in an arm lock to keep him from punching me and the other providers), and an unresponsive.

So far the semester has been hectic. More papers, more homework, more quizes, etc have me running in circles. I'm actually kind of glad that the last few clinicals have been slow, since it gave me an opportunity to catch up on homework and get a little bit ahead. I almost feel like a single mother, what with the dogs and all, although I have the ability to leave a 1 year old and an 8 year old alone for 8 hours and the state won't lock me up. I have a whole new-found respect for my mother and Epi who worked, went to school, or both, with children who couldn't be left alone for hours on end. Luckily, I have a very good friend who works and lives not far, who is willing to swing by and let the dogs out and feed them when I am in class or clinical. Next week is EMS Today, which I will be at on Friday, and maybe Saturday morning. We have an assignment associated with the Exhibit Hall, so I won't be able to take any classes, but will be available for dinner and drinks after if anyone is interested.

In other news, the large amounts of snow we got are melting, and my yard has puddles all over it. The wind in the past few days has dried out a lot of it, especially since it came with a little bit of sun. The lilies are coming up, and I have to divide them as soon as they are up a bit more. C is planning a fence around the gardens, since Kaylee has found her way through the wire ones we put up last summer. The veggies that can be started inside are started, and the herbs are going as well. Most things are going in containers because we just don't have the space.

And now, I have to use the last few free hours I have today to go prune my roses and pull up some weeds. It's cold and windy outside, but the sun is a-shinin'.

1 comment:

Epijunky said...

It's definitely a wild ride, isn't it?

I'll be in Baltimore, hope we get a chance to meet up!