Tuesday, August 18, 2009

NIMS is boring

So tonight I found out I've been laboring under a serious misconception. I thought I had all the ICS/NIMS classes I needed. Turns out I only had one.

So, since I'm not doing much in the next few weeks, I will be spending some serious, quality time with the ICS websites, taking -200, and -800 (just did -100) this evening. How fun!

On Facebook, I'm reading about all the people who are going back to the Ice, and finding that I really want to go back. Impossible now, what with school starting shortly, but someday. Perhaps after the wedding?

On the school front, loan has been applied for and sent to the school, which has to certify it. Arguments have been made with the registrar over the status of my Eng Comp class, which I took, and can't prove, since not even I keep a syllabus for 12 years, and King's doesn't have the course description online (it seems that class is no longer offered). So I'll be making some phone calls in the coming weeks to see if the department chair has something to help me out.

I seem to be in a strange place at the fire house. I'm a probie, and therefore subject to all the normal rules regarding probies (curfew, no staying overnight, no hanging out in the lounge, etc), which is just fine by me. I need time to get acquainted with these people and learn my way around THIS particular station. And I'm not flaunting my long-time certification either...in fact, I'm trying to downplay it. But I've been cleared to ride as OIC by all the EMS officers, routinely asked to help out on probie nights, and other things that seem to belie my probie status. It's a tough position to be in, and I'm still trying to work it out. I really am trying hard to remind people that I do still have probie status, but it's hard when you are so far ahead of some of the other newer members. And it's hard to have to keep reminding the officers that I haven't been shown how to sign in on the log book, given a passcode to get in the door, or gotten the ability to sign on to the station computers.

Though I guess that could be taken as a good sign....

No comments: