Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Surprise!!! Your turn!

It really sucks when you walk into drill night and the person charge says "Hey, remember those ideas for drill we were tossing around the other day? Why don't we do one of those!" 

This is especially hard when you were talking about scenario-based drills and you haven't had the chance to come up with any scenarios.  Not to mention that aside from you and the person in charge of drill there are only 2 other EMT's and everyone else isn't in class yet. 

Still, I don't think I did too bad.  I threw together an MCI drill, giving people slips of paper with various injuries on them, and told the EMT that they were first on scene and only had 2 more units coming immediately available, and to triage the patients.  They then had to defend their decision.  It made a lot of people stop and think about what triaging is supposed to do.  I think I need to come up with a set of cards with various injuries on them so we can do this again.

Also, I suspect that I will be called into action again to help with drills, so if anyone had any ideas for good, relatively short drills, mainly for brandy-new EMT-B's and those that are basically first-aiders, please share.  Also, any good calls that you could share (without violating HIPAA of course) would be helpful in making scenarios to help train the new kids.

No comments: